Wednesday, October 04, 2006

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I am the same age now that my mother was when she had breast cancer. She was so calm when she called and told me. I was terrified. I sat on the edge of my bed clutching the phone and as she explained the treatment she would soon start, tears rolled silently down my face. It is a moment I will not forget. She survived for 13 years after successful treatment, but her health was compromised from then on and I'm certain it shortened her life.

Today I had my yearly mammogram and there were no abnormalities. There are so many important reasons to have yearly mammograms and I hope all my friends are doing so. One really good reason is that great feeling of relief when it is over and all is well. I didn't know I was worried about it until I wasn't anymore.

1 comment:

  1. i coudn't have said it better. As a 3 time survivor, early detection can be a life saver. I love to say that because it conjures up this woman with 3 breasts - ha!

    ReplyDelete