Thursday, April 05, 2007

Another birthday—do they get closer together each year?

My old friend Carla surprised me with a nice birthday message on her blog today. It was such a sweet message from a dear person, although I am not sure I can quite forgive her for the 30 year old picture of me that she posted!

This was not nearly as traumatic a birthday as last year—I was trying hard to be cool, but, gulp, 60 was a shock to the system. It is a glorious spring day today and I started the day with my usual walk with Beth, then we went to Gerrie's for a meeting of our small quilt group, STASH, followed by lunch and sinful desserts at Papa Haydn. It was so beautiful we sat outdoors and drank in the good company, great food and incredible April-ness of the day. What a gift these women are in my life!

Then I got a visit from my daughter and granddaughter who brought me a card and gorgeous, deliciously fragrant Easter lily. Sofia, however, had just eaten and had fallen into a slack-jawed, rag-doll milk coma and could not manage to open her eyes long enough to have her picture taken.

And finally, here is a shot of my birthday present from Ray.


I had been admiring the red shoes that Lesley Riley kept showing in her blog photos of her trip to New Zealand and finally emailed her and asked if they were comfortable and what the brand was. She emailed back and raved about them. Then last weekend when Muriel was here, we walked into a new little shoe shop in my neighborhood and there they were, as if it had been meant to be—but SO expensive. When I expressed my longing for these wonderful shoes, Ray jumped on that and declared that they would be my birthday present. He loves it when he doesn't have to go out and search for something.

Another birthday down and on to the next year. It has been a good one.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:13 PM

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And yes, I was also admiring Leslie's shoes - how cool that you got yours for your birthday! (I wonder if Leslie is another Aries?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Happy, happy, burr-th-day, Ter-reee.

    You have to imagine this in a 50's croon -- I'm singing it at this moment. Don't know the original singer, song title, or the rest of the lyrics or tune -- but I have this first line down.

    Turning 60 isn't so bad -- just look at me -- and wait til you get to 65! I wracked my brain trying to think of a way to get even -- uh to celebrate your arrival on _my_ blog -- but I decided I couldn't top your notice of my birthday. But I'm still thinking.....

    cheers, and many many happy returns

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday -- and those shoes are simply lucious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't even realized it was the Big 6-0! Luckily Papa Haydn is such a low-key, tasteful place, or you would have been surrounded by waitresses doing the can-can, or had to wear a fish head, or something equally distasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful sleeping baby...you are a lucky grandmother! Happy Birthday...those of us born in April are lucky, lucky people. I too love the color red and love those shoes....they are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:46 AM

    I love the photo of Sofia - what a beauty! I enjoyed yesterday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your birthday was wonderful!!

    I have visited this posting several times today to check out the picture of baby Sofia and I have to say that she really resembles Cayo in this picture. She looks like a pretty mellow baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:29 PM

    How wonderful it must have been to celebrate your birthday with such a beautiful, sleeping baby. Happy birthday, one day late. I wish you the best, and may you always have ADORABLE shoes!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hippo Birdie Two Ewes!

    I'll hit the big 5-0 this year, so it's a banner year, eh?

    And speaking of shoes...what brand?????

    Sarah, who recently indulged seriously in some lime green sneakers....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just happened upon your blog. What great shoes and what a gorgeous grandbaby you have!!

    ReplyDelete