Monday, May 07, 2007

Seven things

I was tagged by Lisa to list seven random facts about myself and then tag seven other bloggers to do the same. I am not normally too keen on memes, but this one seems pretty benign and open ended, so I thought I'd give it a go.

1. My hair started turning grey before I was thirty. For many years it was Taylor Hicks salt and pepper, then it turned nearly totally white about 10 years ago. I only dyed it once and the color, which was supposed to be chestnut, turned out kind of khaki greenish. I have never tried dying it again.

2. As the director of the Pocatello, Idaho YWCA, my mother established the first battered women's shelter in the state of Idaho. I was among the first volunteers to (wo)man the shelter. I was stunned at the need and the response. The shelter is still in existence and in nearly 30 years has served thousands of women and undoubtedly saved lives. I could tell you some pretty grim stories.

3. I am unlucky at cards, but lucky at love.

4. As an art major I graduated from college unqualified to do anything, but over the years I have had many jobs, including:
  • Traveling consultant for college sorority
  • Interior Designer
  • Sewing teacher at a Singer store
  • Window Display designer for the Bon Marche department store in Boise*
  • Jr. High Art teacher (had to go back to school for a teaching certificate)
  • Gift shop manager at the Oregon Shakespearean Festival
  • Quilt Shop owner
  • Fabric Company Sales Rep
  • Administrative Assistant for a non-profit (accounting job—what was I thinking?)
  • Graphic Designer (went back to school again)

*this job paid the least, but was the most fun.

5. I don't like watermelon or corn on the cob. That's unpatriot, I know. I don't like mayonaise either. (Just typing that word made me gag a little)

6. I am somehow able to convince people that I am very organized. I'm not.

7. From the time I was I child just as I was falling asleep I would hear a voice say my name. The voice was very familiar but I could never quite recognize it. It is spooky. It still happens. I thought for years that I was the only one that experienced this phenomenon, then I learned that it happens to Kermit the Frog as well. (last verse 1:00) Whoa.



Now to tag seven others:

June Underwood - June may not want to do this, modest person that she is, but I'll bet her seven random facts would be very interesting

Carla - She is my old college friend. She blogs under the radar, but is also an interesting person and will have seven interesting facts, I feel sure

Reva - Maybe she'll blog seven recipes. Her food photos and descriptions make my mouth water.

The Mater - She's a loving grandmother who plays polkas on the accordian and flirts with the sheriff

Gerrie - I'm sure there must be at least seven things we don't all know yet

Jane Ann - A Southern lady who sews barefooted like me

Who else wants to play? Tag yourself for number 7

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Hmmm, modest, eh? It doesn't feel that way to me. Since I share the blog with Jer, and he probably won't play, I'm going to have to do a bit of a twist on the tag. And then I'll issue a challenge. Stay tuned --it won't be for a couple of days, but I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm "tagged" ... I think of all those wild animals running about with clips in their ears ... LOL.

    I shall post on my seven soon (not an easy task by the way, but first let's celebrate Mother's Day and your very first Grandmother's Day! Your hair is beautiful and speaks to the elegance of being a grandmum.

    Thanks for sharing your seven and revealing yourself like that. Brave woman.

    ReplyDelete