Sunday, March 02, 2008

How sweet it is

I've had a thing for James Taylor since he and I were both young and earnest. I still love him even though he has gotten quite bald and looks a bit like a school principal I once knew. He doesn't take himself quite so seriously these days and I like that. I don't think I take myself so seriously either. We've matured. Together. Though he doesn't know it.

I once told Ray that we were married for better or worse, etc. etc., except for the possibility that James would one day come along and want me to go on the road with him. Then it was all over. Ray understood and said the same held true in the event that Juliette Binoche realized that what she really needed in life was a skinny math teacher from Idaho. It's our understanding and we've been able to live with the uncertainty.

We've been watching JT on PBS tonight. It's the fund drive and we wisely DVR'ed it so we could whiz through the fundraising nonsense. He is in great form—funny and self-deprecating and he sings as beautifully as ever. He is still the guy.

When Sofia gets tired and needs a bit of comforting I sing to her. My standbyes are "Blackbird" (the Beatles) and "Sweet Baby James." She likes them both. So do I.

Here's a little clip from the show:

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:48 PM

    Terry,

    I just listened to Sweet Baby James and now I'm off to beddy-bye. Thank you. What a dear. June

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby and I have a similar arrangement as you and Ray, except that it's Halle Berry he'll be leaving me for, and I'll be packing my bags when Sean Connery comes knocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched too. Who needs hair with a voice like that.

    Sad to say, John (Lennon) won't be coming for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:16 AM

    I, too, have had a thing for JT for many years (even though he's close in age to my Dad!) and he just gets better with each year. I used to sing Sweet Baby James to my own sweet baby Jamie twenty one years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, our arrangement was Neil Diamond for me and Ann Margaret for my husband. But, I do love "Sweet Baby James". Thanks for the video

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I'm a tad older than you gals ... Elvis was The Man. JT, though, is still going strong and, like Paul Simon, two American idols who have contributed much to the American folk and pop scene. Rock on, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the concert! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's been a favorite of mine forever too...thanks, terry, for the clip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a good PBS program - too bad it was part of a pledge drive. I should DVR these things, easier on my blood pressure, I think. Thanks for posting the clip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband would understand if I ran off with James Taylor. He knows the fist love of my life (my Daddy) had a similar hairdo, but not the voice.
    Coincidently, I posted a picture of my father on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:20 PM

    I have always loved James Taylor, too. My husband always said that I should keep my suitcase packed and if he found a 1967 cherry red Ford Mustang (he had one when young)- he would trade me in! I just informed him a few months ago that the 'statute of limitations' was up for that agreement since we have been married for 32+ years. Then lo and behold just last month we bought him a 2008 Shelby GT 500 -- and he is keeping me too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched the show too and really enjoyed his joking around. Especially when he said Carol King used to be his *itch. He has such a cheerful face. I think I'll have to see if they have that concert in Netflix. I barely get OPB out here in the sticks, up near Astoria. I always enjoy your blog, Terry. Maybe we will meet someday since I am acquainted with June.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet, Sweet Baby James ... thank you, Terry, for this video post. James has been a crush of mine since back in the days that I was jealous of Carly Simon. He still makes me sigh.
    ... << sigh >> ...

    ReplyDelete