Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Hello Yellow

The Pantone company has announced that the color of the year is Mimosa. They describe it as "a warm, engaging yellow. In a time of economic uncertainty and political change, optimism is paramount and no other color expresses hope and reassurance more than yellow." I'll buy that, though it is hard to envision Martha Stewart embracing such a jazzy color.
I love this color and use it in my quilts a lot. That great orange-y yellow always adds a little punch. I think some folks call it "cheddar".

I am fascinated with the field of "color forecasting" which is how this color of the year business all comes about. There is a group of experts who meet regularly and analyze trends to predict what colors will be popular in given years and seasons. Fashion, car colors, furniture designers all rely on those predictions to create the newest colors for their products. It has to do with lots of factors, including the economy, youth trends, what's in the news and cultural events, but mostly observation of what people are buying and wearing. I have my own theory about color popularity, which is that we quickly grow tired of seeing the same colors and our eyes crave something quite opposite of what has been really big for a few years. I'm old enough to remember when olive green and harvest gold was the BIG color trend. It was also when I got married, so all my wedding gifts seemed to be a variation on this theme. We all got so tired of this combo that it was years and years before yellow greens, especially earthy, olive-y greens, were acceptable again. Now after years of forest green and teal and such, yellow greens seem fresh all over again. I think I'd be good at color forecasting. How do you get that job?

My granddaughter loves to say yellow. She pronounces it "lello" and I think she actually thinks that is what her crayons are called and doesn't really quite get the concept of color, but I am working at teaching her.

I used to have a lemony yellow shirt that I loved. I wore it until it was shaggy, when I finally reluctantly got rid of it. I've wanted to replace it ever since. Last week I was at the Eddie Bauer Outlet in Lincoln City and saw this great yellow knit shirt that was 70% off. I was standing at the display, holding the shirt and deep in thought—actually trying to do the math to figure out what 70% off $39.99 would be—when a wild-haired woman, also browsing gave me a firm shake of the head, looked intently into my eyes and said, "that color does not look good on you!" Well, gee. I nearly put it right back on the rack, then came to my senses and snatched it up before I could change my mind. I like it
.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:03 PM

    This is Jamie's new color for pj's, sweatshirts, shirts....everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow is so hard to wear, but I've been seeing it everywhere and I now have some fabric to make a warm yellow shirt. I actually think that your pale yellow works quite well with your grey hair -- you know, grey and yellow are all the rage as a combo! My second car was that mimosa color (a VW bug). I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'll bet that wild haired lady will never be part of the color forecast team!!!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously that woman WANTED that shirt and was hoping you'd abandon it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I remember the colors ou describe. Back in '70 I bought my MGB in Harvest Gold and our first house had a avocado green bathroom that we couldn't paint white fast enough. That color looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:10 AM

    I have to say that harvest gold, avocado green and earth brown are definetly colors that I use a lot of in my quilting-70's be darned!

    I also read that mustard and purple are going to be a big combo this year-also another of my fav pairs-not purple but more of a blue-purple. I figure if I wait around long enough everything I like will eventually be popular again:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yellow is the happiest color there is and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah-h-h-h, Yellow, light of my life, song of sunshine, lifter of spirits, my life long favorite. Just yesterday I wore a bright egg yolk yellow shirt and three different people commented favorably on it. Guess it was cheerful on a dreary day. And it looks great on you,too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha - you outfoxed that woman! Don't you know she was going to grab that shirt for herself the minute you put it back? I used to see that all the time in Loehmann's communal dressing room: gratuitous negative comments and next thing you knew, SHE was trying it on. Good going! Buy what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your goals from the previous post - especially the only-do-it-for-90-days idea. :) Though often with the "nutrition plan" I have to do one day at a time. Heck, sometimes it's more like "for the next 15 minutes I will not eat anything..."

    Interesting that someone feels comfortable informing others what looks good and what doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's possible, under the florescent lights in the store, that the color was not quite right, but I wouldn't have put it back either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Were you tempted to say, "And your hair does not look good on you?" !

    ReplyDelete