Saturday, January 16, 2010

We love the faces

Joan continues to post her wonderful stitched faces. Laura has been posting faces. I just found a bunch more to post. Here are a few more of my own faces.

Fabric portrait of my grandmother Hazle, on her graduation day.


Detail from "Judith's Garden" now part of the Thomas Collection of Contemporary Quilts


"Passion and Pain," my Frida Kahlo portrait for the Twelve by Twelve project


"Patron Saint"


"Red Earrings"

The faces below are culled from my photographs—inspiration from all over


Masks on the wall of an Ecuadorean hacienda


Masks in an Ecuadorean market


Painting by Oswaldo Guyasamin


Pastel portrait of my daughter by my son-in-law


Pre-columbian, Mexico


Pre-columbian, Mexico

........................................

Busy working on some new work that I will post here soon.

So sad for the people of Haiti and everyone lost and injured. A friend's husband who is an orthopedic surgeon is on his way to do what he can. Knowing how helpless most of us feel, it must be so gratifying to have a skill that is needed there and be able to go, though I can only imagine how difficult this will be for volunteers such as Chris. Keep good thoughts for all those volunteers. I don't need to tell you they need money, but also blood. Donate if you can. Reminds me that one of the best books I have read in recent years is Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. It is about Dr. Paul Farmer and his work in Haiti. Really wonderful book. I recommend it.

5 comments:

  1. The portrait of your Grandmother Hazel is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, I am loving your faces. Looking at yours and at the face-links you've provided makes me realize that I avoid them -- I don't typically photograph them, even. I tend to like pictures without people more than pictures WITH people! Yikes, wonder what that says about me? But I'm encouraged to start exploring this and maybe I'll try to start doodling faces a bit. Your grandmother's portrait is wonderful and I am really drawn to the red earrings one -- love the collar out of the edge. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember telling you a long time ago that I loved your faces. And I still do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love Patron Saint best.
    What talent you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually had to read portions of Mountains Beyond Mountains in an Epidemiology class last semester. We compared the differences between the Cuban healthcare system and the plagued United States healthcare system. In Cuba, everyone receives the same health care, regardless of income status, and there are more doctors. It was shocking to me! That book was wonderful to read, and poignant when looking at today's health care reform. When I have time (HAHAHA!) I'd like to read the rest of the book!

    ReplyDelete