Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Detour

Today's walk included a detour through the Greenway neighborhood, which runs alongside the park where we walk. There are a lot of connecting paths to the street for neighborhood access, so we can easily duck in and out of the neighborhood for a change of scene. We walk along and get landscaping ideas or critique the garden ornaments we see or admire what folks have done in their yards. On a gloomy, rainy day in February, what a treat to see this bunch of tiny irises growing at a street corner. It was about the only blooming color out there.

I enjoyed seeing what someone had done with logs in their yard. Doesn't this finish that corner nicely? The changes in levels and the nice tight grouping really appealed to me. Maybe it was because after last week's tree cutting at our place we have a yard full of log rounds. Hmmmm. Raw material.
Isn't it interesting to see the colors that people choose to paint their houses? Some are so drab and neutral that they just cry out for a little color—"please paint me!" Woodsy colors are popular here. Our house is pale yellow and I am longing to paint it something richer, woodsier, cosier, but with a jazzy door color of some kind. And I ask you, why does that orange and blue combo seem so utterly dreadful in the suburbs of Oregon? I saw that same color scheme in Oaxaca, Mexico a couple years ago and took a picture because I thought it was so fabulous! Just goes to show you that context is everything.

9 comments:

  1. My house is painted lavendar with white trim and yellow front door. It is WONDERFUL! My next door neighbors house is pink.
    we live in histroci district though so its more okay to have strange colors.
    Ruth
    Yeahhhh colors!
    Although that orange and blue color is a littlke odd I agree in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe your suburbanites are homesick? Or longing to live in the culture and sun of Mexico?? Seems like there is story there somewhere.

    And yes context is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those colors are much to strong for northwestern Oregon - I'm glad I don't live across the street! I was very pleased with the vertical log arrangement we did to hide the A/C in the backyard. We used treated logs but they still attracted termites and had to be removed after fifteen years. Love the iris!
    Del

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quality of the light in Mexico is a little different from that in NW Oregon, I'm guessing. That YSL Moroccan blue which was really popular a few years ago looks dreadful in an English garden for that very reason. Traditional "local" colours are popular because they look good and fit in well with the surroundings I think.

    Gill (in Gloucestershire UK, where the soft fern green paint is everywhere but looks remarkably good on a Cotswold stone house!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a colorful trip Terry. Really needed it this morning. We're under about 15 inches of very heavy snow. I'm worried for my trees-especially the wild cherry. It's already leaning.
    Wow, that house is an eye opener. You're right about location. I would love it in the south of France as well. I wonder if the people who own it are as interesting. Maybe they're a fun bunch? Inquiring minds(nosy) and all that

    ReplyDelete
  6. That house makes me want to say "Goooo Broncos!" (BSU colors!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue is just too much. It would look so different if it were brown or even sage or some color that didn't scream at you. But yes, we would expect this in Latin America. It is all about context.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the mexico pic, there is more blue in relation to the orange. And there's the brown to provide a third color. With that suburbs house, There isn't enough blue and the house style is all wrong for it.

    On one of our bike rides we saw a charcoal gray house with trim and garage door painted screaming yellow. I'd imagine everyone in that neighborhood used that house as part of their directions. When you get to the house with the yellow trim, turn left... LOL

    ReplyDelete