Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Orange again

I couldn't stop with the orange photos. I didn't realize I had so much orange in my house. Del said she loves orange and buys orange clothes when she can find them. That got me thinking. You don't often find orange clothing for sale. I think I would love to have an orange shirt. I have one that is pale orange and it is too close to the color of my skin to look like much on me. I was disappointed in it. It is all cotton. Maybe I should dye it a darker orange.

Rayna said orange is an energy color and she believes we crave certain colors at certain times just like we crave certain foods. I certainly believe that. It has been my theory that we crave colors, and then sometimes we gorge on them until they no longer "taste" good and we crave something a bit opposite. I think that is a partial explanation for why color trends seem to go in waves and for several seasons we see certain colors that make us feel good and then suddenly they seem old and tired and something altogether different takes over our craving. It will always be a mystery to me, however, why so many people apparently craved this dusty rose color en masse at one time. Anyway, I seem to be craving orange right now. It doesn't just look warm or happy to me, it feels rich and satisfying.

10 comments:

  1. I love orange and I love to wear it. I just sent my favorite orange sweater to the dry cleaner and I hated to part with it for fear I would need to wear it. It is my winter color. In summer, I favor turquoise and lime green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a great orange sweater at goodwill last saturday for about 4 dollars. They sort here in Calif. by color so its easy to see. and lots of the clothing is brand name. I filter through color then brand then size.
    But... you are a winter it would have to be a BRIGHT jewel color orange not a dusty orange. Love love love orange here too! Well Purple is first and orange second.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am finding that orangew appears in almost all my pieces. I don't really wear it although I do wear salmon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was about 5 years old, my mother made me a smocked orange dress -- quite orange. I hated the color so much that I refused to wear the dress. I probably had only a couple of dresses, so it must have been a serious hatred. My mother ended up giving it to a friend of mine.

    As an adult, I love orange, especially colors like burnt orange that seem so warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had an orange silk blouse that I loved so much. Wore it to death. Wish I had another.
    Love your beautiful orange pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I prefer to wear coral, but my crazy-curled, tuba playing, life-of-the-party daughter wears bright orange frequently. Definitely an energy color.

    I had to laugh about the dusty rose color comment, as I sit here in a room with a hideous carpet exactly that color. It was here when we move in, and the last rement won't get pulled until our elderly pets are gone, if you get my drift....


    Hope you have a highly orange day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't like that dusty rose chair. But it looks very similar to the background color of a quilt I recently finished, Jane's Garden. Must be what context it is in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love orange now, even have an orange car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My personal favorite version of orange is brown. I love it, I wear a lot of it, and it makes me feel cozy and comfortable. In my artwork, it shows up as orange. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bright orange has always been my son's fave, especially for shorts. I say, dye the shirt! As for the dusty rose, you will find that in a lot of older RV's. Why? Dunno.

    ReplyDelete