Monday, August 22, 2011

To find life waiting for us...

My friend, Laura Nissen, posted this on Facebook today:
Sooner or later we will come to the edge of all that we can control and find life, waiting there for us. Rachel Naomi Remen
Boy does that resonate. Earlier in the week a former co-worker, who I do remember as a bit of a control freak, posted on FB that she was finally, slowly learning to let go of controlling everything and how much happier she was as a result. I believe it is the key to being happy. Really. "Change the things we can, accept the things we cannot change and have the wisdom to know the difference." It is really the only way to live in this crazy world, as I see it. There are days that the state of the stock market could shut me down, or the actions of other people, over whom I have no control. I write the happy news here, but life is what it is. Don't begin to think that anyone has it easy. But at the edges of all that, life is waiting.
How lucky I feel, despite all the disquieting news and day to day worries. I step outside my door each morning and see the workers working away on my studio. I confess it is one thing over which I feel a degree of control.  So that brings me to today's photos.
It is now all enclosed. I can walk around inside and get a feel for the light that will be coming in and the space around me. I looked up, today, through the holes in the roof that will be skylights and loved those little rectangles of tree branches and sky above. The loft is a revelation. It is bigger and more expansive than I expected. The view from the windows up there is a whole new perspective on my little world. I think the workers will be building the stairway tomorrow. I can hardly wait.
That is my son-in-law, Carlos, up in the loft taking some pictures. He designed the building. I think he is pleased.
I am enjoying the process. One of the carpenters whistles as he works. They play Mexican music on their radio. Occasionally the combined stress of all the power tools they have plugged into the one outlet out there throws the breaker and one of them comes to the door to politely ask me to flip the breaker switch back on. They are usually at work before I am awake and gone promptly at 5 pm. I tell them to come into the house if they need water or the bathroom, but they never do. I'm sure they don't understand how grateful I am for the work and what they are creating for me.

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting post today - a nice way to start the day, with a little introspection. Your studio is really coming along! And I do love the smells of new construction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:59 AM

    Your building is just darling! I know you will love it to pieces......a dream come true. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything seems to be coming along. Can't wait to see the completion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it mean even more because you had to wait for it? I think postponing things because of "events" adds a depth to the eventual "getting".

    I am waiting for you to decide to work up in the loft. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's coming along beautifully. I am really enjoying watching with you as the studio grows. It is indeed wonderful to be able to see all the positives in life despite the negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:19 PM

    Your son-in-law is very talented. Your little building has a handsome and well proportioned silhouette and is coming to life beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its looking beautiful. I like the proportions. Its certainly not a shed in the garden. and you may be in before i am in mine
    - i see your builder are actualy on site wheras mine are, well, not. Grrr. What was that about things you cant control again?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your studio looks wonderful and what a wonderful space to create in.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! It seems to be going up fast. I will enjoy seeing more pictures as it is completed.

    You are also so lucky to have such a talented son-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:24 AM

    I came late on the "blog hop" and found your site...good to find it and view your work. Also, the studio will be wonderful! My Best, joni

    ReplyDelete