Sunday, June 24, 2012

Big head, big hat


I have a big head. I look silly in hats because they do not fit onto my head. They perch, like fat birds, atop my head. I have always found it strange that women's hats come in one size only. I know women whose heads are so small that most hats cover their eyes. Men's hats are more likely to be sized and occasionally I find a men's XL that fits me, but the choices are limited and most men's styles are not to my liking. Once my son Andy gave me a purple woman's hat for Christmas. It actually fit. I asked how he decided on it and knew it would fit me. He said he tried it on and knew if it fit his head it would fit mine. Large heads are inherited. I would loved to have seen him trying on the purple hat in the store!

I am getting ready to go on vacation and for years I have wanted a soft, floppy hat that will keep the sun off my face—one I could fold up and stuff in my pocket or pack. Earlier this week I looked once more, in vain, for such a hat. After examining a few, I decided I could make my own, in a size that would fit me. Here it is, and it fits over my large head and thick hair. I am wearing it as I type this. I like it so well I might make more. I think, made from waterproof fabric, it would be great for a rain hat. Ray even liked it.

14 comments:

  1. if it's cloth. you can very carefully stretch it. by dampening it and work it. then put it to dry on a large bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I never thought I had a big head. I also never really thought you had a big head either. I guess we're just used to them... Lot's of creativity and smarts and stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sympathies - I have a terrible time finding hats that are large enough. Sometimes I do a little stretching, but have not found drying a hat in a bowl does it any good. Most of my hats are decades out and wearing out, so I am always in search of replacements. I like the pattern for your hat - will you share? Happy shade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:45 AM

    That hat is nice!!!...and it looks nice on you! I hope you make more. I bought a couple of patterns...haven't made any yet.

    I love your blog...reading it and looking at the pictures was like being on vacation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great hat! I have the same problem. Last summer I got a nice floppy hat that's kind of like yours from Lands End that came in two sizes so I could get a large. They no longer stock it, but Land's End is one of the few stores that sometimes has hats in 2 sizes at least. Way too much of my life is spent trying on hats to find ones that run 'big'. I have to modify all the knit and crochet patterns in the winter too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:36 AM

    Very stylish AND practical. I, too, have a big head so I totally understand. If you decide to make a rain hat, you might look for some of that cute, cute oil cloth that they make these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fetching on you and I like the design as well! Have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you MADE it!? I too have a big head...as do two of my kids. I've always told them it's to hold all those brains. Never thought of making one...what a good idea. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your hat! I too find it difficult to find hats. I wear men's hats, but I do wish I could wear the wide brim, straw hats. Heck,if I am going to romanticise - add an English print dress, white gloves, and a gardening scene where no weeds would dare grow. Your hat looks so good on you and with this weather, perhaps a couple with rip stop nylon?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:37 AM

    Love your hat. You are so resourceful. Just like with the jacket - you made your own. Rhonda M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bet my head is bigger than your head.

    One day I found my husbands hats fit me better than 'ladies hats' so since then I've been buying men's and changing or adding a cuter band. The problem is that I feel more like Elliot Ness than I intend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great hat! Did you make the pattern is it one you would care to share? I love making hats too and this one looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hat looks awesome! And, that's something I usually don't say about hats, but I love the way it sits on your head.

    ReplyDelete