Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A long time ago...

A long time ago we got married. It was 42 years ago today and this is our anniversary and tomorrow is Thanksgiving. And I am thankful. Forty two years. It boggles my mind and when I think of it all it is a little like something I read about someone else and my memory is certainly mistaken about how beautiful things were and how there was always a soundtrack and unlikely as it seemed, things always worked out, though not necessarily in the ways we thought, or hoped, they would. But they worked out. We have stories to tell.

The wedding was OK and honestly not something I remember that much, but the party afterward was spectacular. Not spectacular in the sense of a live band and fancy decorations and catered food and fancy clothes, like spectacular wedding parties are these days. It was spectacular for the food that my Mom and her friends slaved over for days and the gallons of wine my Dad made for months beforehand and for all the friends and family and all the smiles and best wishes and all the laughs and music and fun. Ray and I had a hard time leaving the party.


Here is my car, in my parents' garage, decorated by our friends. Ray and I are inside, ready to set out on our new life, surrounded by all the people we love. There's my Mom and my sister. My uncle Bill, Gary and Monte and Leslie and Ray's brothers. My Dad was probably behind the camera. Many more were out of the camera's view. Ray's Mom and Dad are there somewhere. I remember so well the feeling of being torn between all I knew and loved and all that lay ahead. And this is what I feel most thankful for at this moment. All that love and support that has been there for 42 years and all the people that gave us the courage to know that our lives could be so good.

Tomorrow is our 42nd Thanksgiving together and Ray and I have much to be thankful for. We will spend it with our family. I hope you all have a wonderful day, with many blessings to count.

And for Thanksgiving, I refer you to last year's Thanksgiving post. It still says all I could possibly say.

5 comments:

  1. We, who have been so lucky to have found a lifetime's partner, have so much to be Thankful for. Such rare gems these men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photo (I especially love the car)! Happy Anniversary, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping you have a lovely day. Del

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tell the best stories! Happy Anniversary and Happy Thanksgiving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy picture, and what a great memory. That sounds like JUST the way a wedding should be, fully of love and laughter. I hope you and Ray had a beautiful celebration of 42 years together.

    ReplyDelete