Tuesday, January 08, 2013
The January thing
In the interest of showing another model, I thought I would post my secrets for "not getting all that much done and enjoying the hell out of life."
1. Watch TV. Not mindlessly, of course, but contrary to some thinking, there is a lot of great stuff on TV. Shows that challenge, that inspire, that make you laugh (and you know that is very good for you) and blow your mind with their beauty and creativity. Especially if you are an artist, you should expose yourself to other artistic minds. Don't tell me "everything on TV is junk." Not true.
2. Go to movies. Go to plays. Go to concerts. Read books for fun. See #1 above.
3. Go to museums and art shows. One of my most favorite ways to "waste time." Tapping into what other artists are doing is thrilling. Yes, thrilling. It makes me want to be better. It feeds my need for visual excitement and it makes me think. It gets my adrenalin pumping.
4. Cook something really good. Preferably for people you love. And for yourself, of course. I know cooking is a drag most days. If you do it right it seems like it takes a lot more time than it should. But sitting down to something really good and sharing it, is very special. It is totally worth the shopping and peeling and chopping and stirring. Not every day, but often enough.I don't know this firsthand, but I suspect this is especially gratifying for people who live alone.
5. Spend time with your family—especially the kids. Duh. You know why this is important. And good for you. And good for them. And good for the world. And fun.
6. Allow procrastination. Sometimes something beckons on the way to the waiting task. Sometimes it turns out to be something great. Don't take the chance that you will miss it.
7. Allow yourself to be sick. Sometimes you are. Get over it and take care of yourself. The other stuff can wait.
8. Doodle. Sometimes great things emerge when you let your subconscious take over.
9. Sleep if you need to. There is nothing immoral about an afternoon nap.
10. Stay in your pajamas until noon. Sit in your most comfortable chair. Drink coffee. Watch the birds outside the window.
I should probably add "don't feel guilty." I'm sure there are many more ways not to be marvelously efficient. What are yours?