Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Getting Started

Have I ever mentioned how hard it is to start a new piece? There is a lot of contemplation that happens first, but then the actual process has to begin and drawing and cutting fabric and all that. I don't know why those first steps from concept to something material are so hard— so much like a leap into a cold lake— but they are. And, to extend that cold lake metaphor—once you've made the leap it all begins to feel increasingly more comfortable and soon the hesitation is forgotten and you are happily immersed.

The next High Fiber Diet theme requires that we use mostly neutral colors. Groooooooaan! I like my colors. I have some thoughts and plenty of inspiration from our trip, but I decided to make something small and neutral first just to get my eyes and brain into neutral gear.

 

The day we went to the Prado in Madrid I walked and walked that day. Coming out of the museum after nearly four hours of the most inspiring art, I sat myself down on the front steps of the museum and this little sparrow-ish bird lighted on the step below me and he looked like a painting. Or maybe everything looked like a painting just then. So today Prado Bird seemed like a good place to start exploring neutrals. I can see he is too fat, but I think my shirt plaids are sufficiently birdlike enough to work.

 

The stitching is helping to blend the fabrics.

So, I have begun. It's a good feeling.

 

The Prado

 

9 comments:

  1. I'm loving it so far..... can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy I've found you! I grew up in Beaverton and now live in Wilsonville. I love your artistry, and was especially happy to see you are local! And I dream of travel, so you've inspired me there as well, so thanks on many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ***Love*** your Prado Bird!!! Your plump little birdie looks so happy and cheerful..you could even forget he is brown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the fat bird is lovely, I don't do neutrals well, but I do try sometimes. I just commented on reading blogs over on quiltart, thank you for yours. Up reading early this morning, getting over jetlag from our second trip to Spain, so much inspiration I can hardly wait to see what comes next. Your photos where wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:39 AM

    I've always loved your crows. Looking at the beginnings of Prado Bird I think you have a special knack with making beautiful birds out of cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the shirt prints look great in the bird- good texture and colors, and still you! I also suffer from that new project inertia though, recently I've been trying to get started on something new, and it seems like doing the first step (or the first step after a long break or in a new section) is always way harder than the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buddha bird! The tourists are feeding him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the collection of colors you've gathered for "fat Prado bird". I think he's adorable! (And it's good to know, too, that others struggle with the first step. I think your jump-in-the-cold-lake metaphor is perfect.... though for me it's sometimes like jumping off the high dive and backing down the ladder.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see you working again. Or at least showing us what you are working on. The shirt fabrics work really well to get the feel of the patterning of the bird feathers.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete