Thursday, November 05, 2015

Rain

We had the driest summer I remember, followed by a a long, beautiful, dry fall and now the rain has started. Oregon rain. I'm an Oregon transplant from the high desert, but I have learned to love the rain. I may be singing a different song when we get to February, the month of please-make-it-stop, but for now I am celebrating the rain. It really comes down when we get serious about rain, here. Looking out my kitchen window a couple days ago it was sheets of pouring rain. And it was a beautiful sight.

I was driving and through the rain and mist this week, and saw a solitary, brilliant red tree in a field, bravely doing its best to fly it's autumn colors in the downpour and it seemed like something that might lend itself to fabric interpretation. At least, something to experiment with. I had this idea of an overlay of some kind of textured, sheer-ish fabric, so I took myself off to the fabric store to look for cheesecloth or scrim, or...? What I found was mosquito netting, and while not exactly what I was picturing, I thought it might do. More experimenting needed, but I think it might be something. The mosquito netting is soft and drapey but pretty stable. There is more to it than tulle, and not crispy or shiny.

 

 


 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:12 AM

    I think you're on to something wonderful here!! :-) Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would also work for shafts of sunlight, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain makes me finally want to sew again...it's been a long dry spell for me. Your red tree is perfect! What a great design idea~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Representing the sheets of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I recognise that sort of rain, as we get it here in the UK. The mosquito netting is just right!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're really on to something here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely, really sets a mood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really looks like it is raining on your tree.

    ReplyDelete